Once again, school has gotten the best of me and this blog has sadly been neglected. I will return November with a new Adventure and Travel Tip. In the meantime, I have prepared a list of spooky travel destinations to tickle your fancy.
- Chapel of Bones: Evora, Portugal
- A 16th century chapel decorated with human bones. At the time, 43 cemeteries were taking up valuable land. Wanting the land but not wanting to condemn the dead, the Catholic church decided to build a chapel to house the bodies. The monks, who were concerned by society’s values at the time, saw the bones as an opportunity to remind everyone that death (and final judgement) comes to us all. Therefore, instead of putting the bodies in closed caskets they decorated the chapel with them as a message. This is further amplified by the message engraved on teh chapel door: “Nós ossos que aqui estamos, pelos vossos esperamos,” or “We bones, are here, waiting for yours.”
- Beechworth Asylum: Victoria, Australia
- Lunatic Asylums from the 1800s tend to give off a sinister tone when you know their shared history. Ghosts of patients, nurses, and children have been sighted here and, although some had met grisly ends, do not seem to be violent towards visitors.
- The Poison Garden: Alnwick, Northumberland, England
- A subsection of the famous Alnwick Garden added in 2005. It contains many different species of poisonous plants as well as a few intoxicants such as cannabis and opium poppies as part of a drug education mission.
- Salem, Massachusetts
- Known for the Salem Witch Trials in the 1600s, the city has very much embraced its image, with tourism as a large source of the city’s income. Gallow’s Hill , the hill where many accused of witchcraft were said to be hanged, is a popular tourist attraction.
- Snagov Monastery: Bucharest, Romania
- This monastery is said to hold the secretly buried remains of Vlad the Impaler, though the legend has not been substantiated. A mixture of horse and human bones were found buried upon excavation, but the identity of the person has yet to be confirmed.
See you in November and Happy Hauntings!